(I posted this the other week on my previous blog but thought I’d transfer it over here because these cookies were so yummy).

I love, love, love oatmeal raisin cookies. I must confess they are my favorite. They seem perfect to me, sweet enough to satisfy my craving with enough healthy stuff I have little guilt. I’ve been wanting to try making a GF version for awhile now, but I was diagnosed right after Thanksgiving which meant I had to figure out how to make my favorite Christmas cookies first (which, I have to say, were marvelous and gave me great hope for gluten-free eating). Then I had to recover from all the Christmas cookies.

But last weekend I was finally ready. The first batch was very very sad. I could hardly scrape them off the pan, and once on the cooling rack I could see the countertop through the thin collapsed cookie. However, they tasted great! I felt hopeful. So I took my dough and kneaded in more rising agent (I think I added baking powder when I hadn’t before?) and then I added more flour. The next batch was much much better. A couple more tweaks and woot! Oatmeal raisin cookie perfection. Mind you, I’ve only made them once but I was so excited that I wanted to share. Here goes.

oatmeal raisin cookies

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugars together. Then add in eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy. In another bowl whisk together dry ingredients except for the oats. Slowly beat into the butter sugar mixture. Stir in oats and raisins. Get out all the cookie sheets you have because this makes a lot of cookies (you’ll need them, trust me. Mine have gone fast!). Drop by teaspoonful onto the ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Check on them and if they don’t seem quite done leave them in one more minute. (10 minutes seemed like too little but 11 minutes was too much. It must have been that moment of opening the door to check them, giving them 60 second more time, and then pulling them out that did the trick.)

Let them cool just a bit so they aren’t too gooey to transfer to a wire rack, then move to rack and let cool. Make sure you sneak one or two while they are cooling.